META CONTENT='NOINDEX, NOFOLLOW' NAME='ROBOTS' META CONTENT='NOARCHIVE' NAME='ROBOTS'

Monday, June 05, 2006

The Job Search: Overview

I’m finishing my 2nd year as a post-doc. This fall will begin my 3rd academic job search. In the prior 2 searches, I applied for 9 faculty positions, I gave 3 job talks, and I’ve been rejected. Three times. In two cases, the vote was a near tie (lost by 2 votes). Objectively this is pretty good. Right? Job talks 30% of the time is pretty good. But then again a 100% rejection rate is not too good. In the coming days I plan to reflect on searches 1 and 2 a bit. The good. The bad. And the Ugly. The first search was great - I loved it! The second search sent me into a miserable funk. The third search, hmm well we shall see.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]