META CONTENT='NOINDEX, NOFOLLOW' NAME='ROBOTS' META CONTENT='NOARCHIVE' NAME='ROBOTS'

Thursday, June 29, 2006

More thoughts on teaching

Because I can't seem to tie this together into a coherent paragraph, I'll will bullet-fy it (yes, you can borrow this word I'm sure it will come in handy someday).
So, you see I am all conflicted. I'm not very good at teaching, but I think I could be. But it will take some effort, which is ok, I think. But I do not want to be The Woman Who Teaches.

I decided to teach this fall because I want to stop looking horrified when they ask me if I'd like to teach Intro during a job search. Or even worse, when I say "hmmm?" when they ask "How would you teach Intro to My Area for students at Bliss Univ?" My gut reaction is to say WTF, I don't know and I don't care?

I want to enjoy teaching. I want to be above average. I want to be able to say that my first few courses were a disaster because I was young and inexperienced. I do not want to replay them every semester.

Isolation U is a very well known school for undergrads. They have a very active teaching center that holds seminars year round (with free food!). I attended a couple of meetings in the spring and a couple this summer. Somehow I was inspired at the seminar last week and made plans to actually meet with a consultant one-on-one to work through all of this (even though the idea of it terrifies me). Maybe I'll be a good teacher after all. Hopefully.

Comments:
My thought - from a student perspective since I just can't picture myself lecturing - is that it takes practice and work and the underlying thought that it is important and you really want to be good at it. It sounds like you've set yourself up to be fantastic. Can't wait to hear how it goes!

The women in the academic world problem is incredibly complex for me. I'm in a male-dominated field (it's Physics-y) and women tend to gravitate toward a couple of niches. I find myself avoiding projects in those niches just because people expect me to take them. I'm still looking for what I want here rather than what I feel I should do for some reason.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]