META CONTENT='NOINDEX, NOFOLLOW' NAME='ROBOTS' META CONTENT='NOARCHIVE' NAME='ROBOTS'

Saturday, August 19, 2006

Day Care Situtation hopefully Solved - UPDATE - not solved!

[update - She mentioned in passing that she was thinking of going back to school in Jan. We figured she meant around here or part time or at night, but we figured wrong. We just called to clarify and she is hoping to go away to college in Jan. So this sucks. I guess we (well, TheHusband, I just can't think about this anymore) decided we'll stick with her until then. I don't know, it makes me very nervous. I'll be on the job market and I *should* be very busy interviewing next semester so we absolutely cannot afford to have no daycare. Literally, or I won't get a job and then we'll be homeless next year. Why can't life just be easy for a few days.]

We visited with PrettyGoodAssistantTeacher and her mom today. I think mom just wanted to make sure we were decent people, not trying to take advantage of her daughter or anything crazy (what kind of people give their babysitter paid vacation?) She is only 19 but has been at our day care center (by the way they are always called early childhood education centers and saying day care is an insult, but whatever) for almost a year. She is sort of shy and soft spoken but TheKid likes her very much and so do I. She sounds intelligent, she is definitley well-mannered, and I know she will do whatever we ask. We plan to set up "lesson plans" like he would have in a school setting so they'll have craft projects, songs, games, etc related to a theme. We also hope to send them on a field trip (either I'll drop them off or they'll take the bus) once a week or once every two weeks. It will alleviate the boredom for both parties, hopefully.

So, she said yes and we said yes. But we thought that before finalizing anything, we should give ourselves a day to think about any potential problems or lingering questions. Got any? I asked my sister (a former child care educator and a stay-at-home-mom), she can't think of anything. I called FriendWithKids but she didn't answer (& has no voicemail, apparently?)

Monday she will go to work and give them one week's notice. The director's boss is scheduled to call us Monday and provide a solution to our situation but we will tell her that given everything that has happened, we no longer feel like they operate with the best interest of our kid in mind. We love many of the teachers there but the director can not be trusted with our kid (the favoritism issue or whatever it is will only be made worse by us going to her boss) So thanks for your help but we are staying away as long as director is in charge.

Hopefully. [if not I'm surely to blame, The Husband will say, for posting this and jinxing everything] So, hopefully.

Comments:
Holy Crap! This is a continuing Operetta in Many Parts --- I sort of slid by this site, doing one of those random looks at other folk's blogs. My eyes were glazing over playing Freecell, you understand.

I am really surprised that having a child in the 21st Century is such a problem. Seriously. And all of the drama over the daycare. Daycare selection must be the second or third circle of hell from what I read here.

The "teachers" and "directors" seem really rigid .. not an ounce of compromise.

OK, so I have marshalled a double stick of jumpers back in my Airborne Soldier days and that was what we called a "Goat Rope", sometimes a "Nut Roll" and usually a "Cluster F##k". But these poor lady's life seems to qualify as "daycare hell".

Yes, I speak from the lofty perch of having four grown kids, two of each, and damned good ones too.

Praise the Statue of Saint Jude the Patron Saint of the Impossible on the Dashboard of my Porsche 928 that I and my dear wife never had to cope with this.

We'd offer to take care of the little rug rat, but we have some Grandchildren coming over to torture the cat and eat out of the dog's dish.

Loved your blog, Doc!

Cheers,

Dave
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]