META CONTENT='NOINDEX, NOFOLLOW' NAME='ROBOTS' META CONTENT='NOARCHIVE' NAME='ROBOTS'

Thursday, August 03, 2006

Thoughts from the plane

Awkward Situations

Men shake hands when they part. Men don’t know what to do with women - sometimes they shake hands, often there is no physical contact, and then sometimes they hug. At every conference I attend, I find myself in these awkward situations where I don’t know what to expect. I’m not a huge fan of the hand shake, so I don’t mind being left out. I’d just like to know what to expect.


Infidelity

I certainly hope non-conference- attendees are more faithful to their counterparts than conference-attendees. This time I admit I was particularly shocked. Ah, but it is not a conference without witnessing some form of infidelity.

Just Say No

Why oh why do I keep agreeing to review papers? I’m over 2 weeks late for one and I have to prep a class in the next 26 days. I should start saying “I’m sorry but I’ll have to pass – I’m very busy with my own research at the moment”

Water Landing

Why do they say this during the safety routine on a plane: “In the event of a water landing…” As far as I know commercial passenger airlines cannot convert into a boat and land in water.


Comments:
oh its so awkward. that whole men woman goodbye thing. would you hug a guy you just met at the annual [my field] conference? no, then why are you hugging me goodbye?
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]