META CONTENT='NOINDEX, NOFOLLOW' NAME='ROBOTS' META CONTENT='NOARCHIVE' NAME='ROBOTS'

Friday, February 16, 2007

From the Inbox

Dear apparently,
I write to let you know that we remain enthusiastic about your
candidancy in our department. I hope to be able to pursue some
definitive hiring conversations with you next week. At the moment we are
still on hold.
Best wishes,
Chair

This is from interview #4. They offered the job to someone else after an "excruciatingly close" vote but said that they would offer the job to me should the other candidate decline or try to get a second line from the dean for me should the other candidate accept. I've received a few emails asking me to please not make any decision without consulting them and promising information ("one way or the other") "in the next few weeks." Weeks have come and gone. I have no idea what this most recent email means. I think it sounds promising but so have the many other emails I've received (admittedly not as positive as this one), so we shall see. How do I respond to this? I feel like saying:
Dear Chair
Thanks (I think)?
apparently
but somehow that doesn't quite seem appropriate.

In the meantime, I've received an invitation to interview at AcrossThePondUniversity. The interview structure is so very different than what I am used to. It is not so much an invitation as a statement of fact: I have booked a room for you at XX hotel for XX dates. Your interview is in room XX at XX building at XX pm. I guess I now estimate my chances of being jobless next year at a mere 70%.

Oh and did I mention that I've been officially rejected by BestJobEver? They sent a very gracious letter indicating that the decision was based on content area. They are very strong in my area (hence, the BestJobEver) and decided "after much anguish" to add strength to a new content area rather than my area. Boo hoo. On a positive note, I've been rejected so many times that I barely noticed this one, otherwise I might have been crushed.

Labels: ,


Comments:
Can I just say, you are a goddess! Enjoy the intrigue of it all. I'd put your chances of being unemployed come the fall at a slim 10%... but that's only me, and from the distance.

Things are looking up my friend. The trick for you is not getting the job, but making it all you want of it!

As for your response to the letter... if you remain enthusiastic about the prospect, say so. Give the chair a call. Be frank and open. Ask what's going on. Ask what they expect and why, and what you might expect and when. If an offer from them would please you, let them know. It may not materialize, but weren't it better to have made some friends in the process, than merely passing acquaintances?

As my coach likes to tell me, friends do friends favors, get enough friends, and you'll get the job you want.
 
that first email sounds very promising! and going accross the pond? at the least it's a free trip, no? best of luck
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]