META CONTENT='NOINDEX, NOFOLLOW' NAME='ROBOTS' META CONTENT='NOARCHIVE' NAME='ROBOTS'

Sunday, February 11, 2007

a new beginning

We decided to declare all interviews/rejections/etc thus far as the PreSeason. I still have 2 interviews and that is the standard number (at least in my estimation). And, as TheHusband so often tells me, you WANT your team to lose during pre-season so you can see your own weaknesses and your opponents' strengths. In preparation for the official beginning of job season, I've thought about two more potential problems with my interview skills (or lack of). 1) When I'm around people I really admire (for their research) I tend to be meek and diminutive which is the exact opposite of my real personality. I smile, nod, and say "yes" to everything. I act like more of an undergrad than a postdoc. I don't know why I do this and my behavior quickly changes once I know the person. I'm not exactly sure how to change this or how it might negatively impact the outcome of my interview. I just plan to be aware of this and try to be my best self at all times during these interviews. 2) I've been thinking long term during the PreSeason. I am sick of moving. I am sick of living with white walls and cheap carpet. I want to have my own space. I want to make decisions that do include thinking "well, I'm going to move soon" Why might this hurt my interviewing? Because all departments have problems, that is just a fact. But when you think long term, even small problems seem big. I think "Oh my, could I really live with this problem for the REST of my ENTIRE LIFE?" And I'm sure this gives off a negative vibe. So, I've decided to think in terms of "starting my career" What great resources, collaborators, lab space, etc with which to begin my career! I don't have to stay forever. I will buy a house/apartment/condo or some space. I will paint it vibrant colors and fill it with furniture I love. So what if I have to sell it in a few years and move. Any department, any department at all, must be better than my "plans" if I don't get a job this year.

The score is 0-0, let the games begin!

Labels:


Comments:
Great beginning! Looking forward.
 
It sounds like you have had a very productive pre-season. If you play the game differently than you did before, it was worth it. That was a great outlook change. I'm impressed.

It is starting to look like I get one shot only. Good thing it is the one that I want.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]