META CONTENT='NOINDEX, NOFOLLOW' NAME='ROBOTS' META CONTENT='NOARCHIVE' NAME='ROBOTS'

Friday, February 16, 2007

oh the joys of traveling

Posted Wednesday on Wednesday Whining from NortheastAirport:

Whine: Went to airport at 4am with wet hair (hotel hair dryer was broke). Waited outside in an ice storm (or what I thought at the moment to be an ice storm but what turned out to be only the slightest beginning of THE ICE STORM) for an hour. Finally I'm next in line -- wait -- airport is closed. Somehow convinced them to check me in despite orders to "close" ticketing.

teeny-tiny anti-whine: no line for security and relatively fresh food.

Back to the whine: Waited until 1pm with virtually no information about status of flight (other than delayed - duh!).

teeny-tine anti-whine: at least I didn't wait on the plane like several others.

Back to the whine: Finally decided to book flight for tomorrow despite no official cancellation of flights to Hometown. Booked with a connection in DC (uh oh) as all 5 direct flights were already booked. Waited outside in THE ICE STORM for 30 mins to take a 5 min shuttle to hotel. Waited in hotel lobby for another hour for a clean room.

anti-whine: I have a hotel room! A nice hotel room! with a free bag of microwave popcorn!

to-be-determined whine: I just checked in for tomorrow's flight so I will not have to wait in ticketing line (in theory) again. At least not until that flight is indefinitely delayed (seriously that is what the official declaration was - not cancelled but indefinitley delayed - WTF?)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I woke up Thursday, I found out flight to DC was delayed which would void any possibility of making a connection to Hometown flight. So, I went immediately to the airport because calling US (wait, this is a blog I should use a pseudonym) SuckyAirways is completely useless (if you do not get a busy signal (probability of which is 15%), then you are automatically disconnected). I went back to see my friends the gate agents and rebooked on a flight through the CityofNotherlyLove (all 6 direct flights were booked or cancelled). Flight was delayed and we waited on the tarmac for close to 90 minutes. Connection was delayed even longer but I eventually made it home. Total number of different reservations I had in less than 24 hours: 5. Total number of hours spent in the airport: 17. Total number of hours in flight: less than 2

Overheard/overseen at the airport:
There are undoubtedly more stories I should tell. In my 9 hours at the airport Wed, I kept thinking "I need to remember that for my blog" but the following 8 hours apparently zapped those memories. Despite the craziness, I was particularly stress-free during the whole thing. I smiled at the craziness, laughed at the crazies, and had an excellent stay at the hotel (slept from 5-8:30pm and then 10:30-7!). I was quite relieved to be back home. I even complimented the SuckyAirways gate crew in NortheastAirport and I told him that is was not often that I am impressed by Sucky crew members so they shold take my compliment with the utmost of sincerity.

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]