META CONTENT='NOINDEX, NOFOLLOW' NAME='ROBOTS' META CONTENT='NOARCHIVE' NAME='ROBOTS'

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Show me the money

As you might imagine, I've been reading (actually, trying to read -- I can't find many relevant articles) about negotiating and I found a quote in this that I found shocking:
"According to Pinkley and Northcraft, only about 25 percent of job applicants attempt to negotiate. Women are often more reluctant to negotiate than men, and this disinclination accounts, in part, for continuing wage discrepancies between the sexes."

25%! that is insane! 25% in academia or in all professions? Sheesh people.

I asked for a raise at my first job at the produce store. I was 16 years old. I asked for summer money in grad school. I negotiated my postdoc salary, conference funding, and computer situation.
I guess I've always been a negotiator. My postdoc advisor called me aggresssive (when I enforced our previously negotiated terms) which made me (REALLY) angry but also proud. He said he didn't want to give me more than other people just because I asked (and I thought, hmmm well someone should tell them to ask). Nobody is just going to hand you things. Money does not fall from the sky because you think you deserve it. Especially in academia.

Ok, back to negotiating!

(Note to people seeking advice: start with salary but don't forget teaching reduction & course assignments, summer salary, start up funds, moving expenses, grad student support, start date, child care, office refurbishment, lab space, etc.)

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]