META CONTENT='NOINDEX, NOFOLLOW' NAME='ROBOTS' META CONTENT='NOARCHIVE' NAME='ROBOTS'

Thursday, June 28, 2007

My paper shredder works for the state

My paper shredder works for approximately 15-20 minutes then requires a 20 minute break. It is driving me insane.

My mother convinced me at a young age that I absolutely must keep every piece of paper that entered my hand. She has years and years of phone bills, cable bills, etc. She keeps every receipt she has ever received. Honest. Upon receiving a credit card bill, she finds the corresponding receipt for each charge and staples them all to the credit card bill, then files that bill. I think maybe she gets rid of the "paperwork" as she calls it every 20 years. I vaguely remember her telling me recently that she shredded 1983.

I try to keep about a year of paperwork, mostly to keep my mom happy. Turns out this can be useful on occasion, like when my bank starting charging me a $12 monthly fee and told me that this has always been their policy. I looked back through all of my statements and showed them that they were liars.

In preparation for the move, I am purging and shredding and converting all bills to email delivery. I guess I forgot to request a non-union shredder. It is going to take months to shred all this stuff at this rate. Do you think he'll work overtime if I pay double? Has it been 20 minutes yet?

Labels:


Comments:
i think my dad and your mom when to the same filing school. though i think he dropped out after the "keep all your papers forever" lecture. he has boxes and boxes of envelopes, some not even opened, from two decades ago, from every piece of mail ever received, junk mail and bills. it's been fun. i need to buy a shredder, so please tell me which you have so i avoid it ;o)
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]